Observe the Nature around Crystal River and King’s Bay with our experienced USCG Captains/Guides.
When is it best to see manatees? Manatees come into the warm water springs of King's Bay to maintain their body temperature. Therefore the best time for viewing manatees is the early morning tour on the coldest day of the year.
While there are 50-60 resident manatees here all year, during the coldest days there were over 700 in February 2016. Given the flexibility the single best recommendation is Cold Weekday Mornings.
Give your young kids and teenagers a memorable lifetime experience. The amazing Florida manatee tours takes you on an intimate journey with these gentle aquatic sea cows. Grab the opportunity to take your family swimming and snorkeling with manatees and discover an unknown ecosphere.
The manatee tour and dive in Crystal River offers a unique look into the behavior and environment of the shy manatee. Snorkeling takes you into this exquisite mammal’s world for passive observation. Florida’s manatee is a subspecies of the West Indian manatee and a protected species.
Manatee Sighting Quick Guide
• Cold = more manatees,
• Weekday = fewer people on the water, and
• Mornings = manatees more active.
- Complimentary Snorkeling Gear: Masks, Snorkel, Wetsuit and Snorkeling Vest
- Tours last about 3 hours, providing ample time to enjoy the "Gem of Florida's Nature Coast"
- Semi Private Boat. Larger groups have the option of having their boats travel together.
- Free Gifts for Children under 8, Please ask after your tour.
- 45 minute boat ride through the Crystal River State Park and past the ancient Indian mounds, providing unique viewing opportunities of the nature coast.
- Morning Tour leaves at 7:30, please arrive at 7:00
- Afternoon Tour leaves at 11:30, please arrive at 11:00
What to Bring:
- Sense of Adventure!
- Wear your bathing suit
- Comfortable warm clothes to put on after your snorkel (they may get moist from your bathing suit)
- Snacks are available in the shop, but you are welcome to bring your own
- Camera, although we have waterproof shells for most smart phones for sale
Choosing a manatee tour and dive in Crystal River Florida provides the benefit of having a qualified instructor on-hand who properly prepares you before the dive and stays close during your manatee encounter. Absorb yourself into nature’s wonders and discover things you never knew existed.
Manatee dive tours in Crystal River is a learning experience like no other. Being wild animals, they migrate during seasons but from November they gather in their numbers in the Crystal River and Kings Bay area.
Early mornings are your best times to interact with the herbivorous giants. However, during hot weather, they disperse and there are fewer manatees, but the colder weather brings them together and then you will get to see a lot more.
Use our online booking system to reserve your space
Manatee Snorkel Tour Features
Being such shy animals, you will learn to identify the oval-shaped ripples they leave behind in their wake, which is a good way to locate the manatee’s position. Other interesting facts about this fascinating creature is that they can only hold their breath for about 20 minutes before they have to resurface.
Being slow-moving mammals that frequent shallow waters, they are exposed to the sunlight, which promotes algae growth on their skin. While this may seem unhealthy, it actually offers natural sun protection for the manatees.
It’s estimated that 6,000 Florida manatees are in existence today and they are protected under the Marine Mammal Protection Act and the Endangered Species Act. Crystal River’s wildlife sanctuaries were established to protect manatees and other vulnerable animals.
You and your family can indulge in the captivating marine life offered in Crystal River. While it’s a breath-taking encounter, it is also a privilege to get so up close and personal with a wild sea mammal. Take the opportunity to be part of a manatee tour in Florida for an enthralling and unforgettable experience.